Monday, November 24, 2008

Bill Richardson Should Not be Nominated or Confirmed for Any Cabinet-Level Position

Bill Richardson Should Not be Nominated or Confirmed for Any Cabinet-Level Position



An Open Letter To President Elect Obama and the Obama-Biden Transition Team:

First, let me introduce myself as someone who has been part of your campaign for the past 20+ months. I attended the Democratic National Convention as a pledged delegate to select you as our party’s nominee and served as the Team Coordinator for the grass-roots organization here in California's 14th Congressional District (represented by Congresswoman Anna Eshoo) during the primary campaign. I became one of the campaign managers for Silicon Valley for Obama, which was one of the most respected grass-roots organizations around the country for its work during the general election.

Throughout this campaign, we're often asked to tell about our story and why we got involved. My story is very much connected to the nuclear espionage case at Los Alamos National Laboratory involving the Taiwanese-American scientist, Dr. Wen Ho Lee. Back then I was an undergraduate entering my senior year at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). I'd never been that politically active and am not related to Dr. Lee, but I became drawn to the case because of my Chinese ancestry and the cloud of suspicion that befalls onto an entire community when someone of the same ethnicity is suspected of committing such serious violations. The conduct of Bill Richardson, then Secretary of Energy at the time, has always greatly troubled me, and it’s one of the reasons I first got involved in politics and why I’m writing to express my concerns about confirming him to serve in any kind of position in an Obama administration.

I listened with incredulity to Bill Richardson explain his rationale during a 60 Minutes interview for publicly firing Dr. Lee and linking the scientist’s name to the ongoing espionage investigation at Los Alamos. He insisted that if anybody in the national lab had done what Wen Ho Lee did, the individual would have been treated the same way. The pre-trial detention of Dr. Lee, which spanned 278 days of solitary confinement and resulted in the presiding judge to issue an apology for the "unnecessary, punitive conditions" for the “unfair manner” in which Dr. Lee was held in custody, does not support Richardson’s claims. Richardson’s actions were simply inexcusable, and his handling of this case reflects poorly on his judgment.

This sad moment in our nation’s history must be considered a potential disqualifier for Richardson from consideration to any Cabinet-level position. The presiding judge of the case aims blame directly on those responsible, which included Secretary Richardson: "It is only the top decision makers in the Executive Branch, especially the Department of Justice and the Department of Energy and locally…who have caused embarrassment by the way this case began and was handled. They did not embarrass me alone. They have embarrassed our entire nation and each of us who is a citizen of it." To ignore this difficult episode in our nation’s history would be to condone Bill Richardson's actions.

Let the record state my opposition to any consideration for his possible appointment to Commerce Secretary. Bill Richardson may have admirable accomplishments in his tenures as Ambassador to the United Nations and as the Governor of New Mexico, but his actions and behavior in the Wen Ho Lee case raise serious questions about his character and ability to make critical decisions that affect the lives of ordinary citizens.

I hope you will reconsider your decision to allow him to serve in any Cabinet-level positions in your administration.

Roger Hu

13 comments:

Unknown said...

I totally concur with your position. He should not be confirmed for any cabinet position.

Unknown said...

Bill Richardson is a ruthless and disloyal opportunist. He should not be part of the Obama administration. The video says it all.

Unknown said...

Very interesting. I got an email about this issue and video as well. Maybe you should also start a Facebook "fan" page.

Experience sharer said...

Hooray for you! Thank you for stepping up to the plate and taking a stand against at this man, Richardson. I agree he should not serve in any National office regardless who is president.

Where do I sign the petition?

Francis said...

I really commend your efforts to block Richardson's confirmation and really hope you succeed in your endeavor. But, realistically speaking, you have about a snowball's chance in hell. Now, however, if Dr. Lee was Jewish, that would be a different story.

Good luck all the same.

Tom Termini said...

I disagree - one error does not invalidate a career. After all, where has everyone been for the last 8 years?

Richardson has plenty of fine qualities. Why pillory him, especially since the FBI (those experts in law enforcement) failed in their investigation?

naveen said...

I am not Chinese-American but I am Asian-American. While I do sympathize with your argument that Gov. Richardson made a serious judgment of error by condemning an innocent man to prison, I do not think that he should be invalidated for being appointed to Secretary of Commerce simply for that reason. I really admire your position of putting the heat on Richardson and highlighting the injustice that has, up to now, faded to near obscurity in mainstream media. I demand that Bill Richardson show some remorse and publicly acknowledge that he made a mistake and publicly apologize for what happened... to put further credibility on his apology and Obama's decision to hire Gov. Richardson as Secretary of Commerce, the Obama team should put forth a policy which would strengthen habeas corpus for every person on American soil, especially if they are Americans; close Guantanamo; and offer a better justice and education policy which would work to highlight and attempt to resolve the continued presence of racial and gender discrimination within this country. I think such a scenario would provide a more powerful step towards ameliorating the injustice committed against Dr. Lee and others and help towards ensuring that our kids, of Chinese descent (my wife-to-be is Chinese), would not see, no less face, such injustice again. Thank you again for re-opening my eyes on this issue.

L. D. LOSADA said...

MR. RICHARDSON MAY HAVE BEEN WRONG IN THE HANDLING OF MR. LEE'S CASE. HOWEVER, DOES A SINGLE INCIDENT IN WHICH THE VICTIM HAPPENED TO BE ASIAN CONSTITUTE RACISM?
ARGUABLY NOT. IT WOULD NOT HOLD IN A COURT OF LAW... IT WOULD CREATE GOOD GROUNDS FOR MR. RICHARDSON TO CLAIM DEFAMATION OF CHARACTER.
AS A HISPANIC, I HAVE BEEN A VICTIM OF DISCRIMINATION, BUT I DETECT AN ELEMENT OF PARANOIA IN YOUR POSITION.

Anonymous said...

Francis says, "Now, however, if Dr. Lee was Jewish, that would be a different story."

Comments like this only promote divisiveness in the community. Shame on you!

silverkris said...

Tom,

I concur that Gov. Richardson does have many fine qualities. However, he has not apologized for his egregious actions with regards to Dr. Lee and the fallout to many Asian Americans working in defense related positions from his actions, nor his outrageous comments on 60 Minutes on his actions.

And if you've been following the blog and news, supporters of this action are not derailing Gov. Richardson's career - we are asking for an apology.

If one action shouldn't derail a career, what about Dr. Lee's? His career was gone, and his life for one error. One similar action when committed by a FBI director resulted in a slap on the hand, not a jailing.

Unknown said...

I just want to remind those who argue that one error should not invalidate a career: one incident does indeed reveal character of the perpetrator.

ShelfD said...

Obama is proposing the change. But this nomination is not a good sign for Obama’s change - shame on bill’s handling of wee ho lee case and refusal to apologize.

What? What Obama is saying is like this, “I want this guy who ‘lost’ or incapable of protecting the plans for nuclear weapons to now be in charge of our trade agreements.” What a change Obama is going to make by appointing Bill Richardson ???

This guy is proved to be unable to take charge of federal agencies, see below:

http://blog.dengsoft.com/2008/12/06/bill-richardson-not-qualified-for-secretary-of-commerce/

ShelfD said...

sorry, the link above was truncated in my last comment, you may follow link below to learn more:

http://blog.dengsoft.com/